Wednesday, December 15, 2010

It comes but once a year----the holiday stress!!

So school is done with for the quarter...as of two weeks ago.....feels good to be on "vacation" and be able to spend more time with my husband (even if it's while 3 kids are screaming at us!)......I got a B+ and an A in the two modules I completed in the baking program (quick breads & cookies), and got an A on my final project (see photos in previous post)....

The project took forever....especially because everyone in class was split into pairs to complete it, and my partner flaked on the program, so I had to do the entire hacienda by myself! Eek! It was fun, though.....and frustrating as well---the front wall fell off 5 times and broke into 3 pieces.....and the back wall split as I was taking it off the baking sheet (even though it'd been sitting there for two days).....I made all the people, snowmen, snowballs, the and the dog house at home, just to be sure I'd have enough time to finish everything within class time.....the roof is made of mini shredded wheat's, chimney is gingerbread with green peppermints "glued" on, the windows are stained glass (hard candy melted), the trees are upside down sugar cones with royal icing painstakingly applied, the dog house is made of graham crackers and candies for the roof, the fence is peppermint candies and pretzel sticks, the walkway is gingerbread with red hots and royal icing....everything is "glued" together with royal icing.....everything that you can see is edible (although I wouldn't do that....the gingerbread is as hard as a rock when you construct it!)....the snow on the ground is a mixture of coconut, royal icing, and powdered sugar.....all of the figures are made of pastilidge and/or marzipan.....the house's measurements are 12" high, by 10"wide and 6" deep....

All of the finished projects were auctioned off for charity....which is pretty cool! Hubby and L came to school with me on my final day to see it before it was auctioned.....I'm so glad they were able to....L loved it and said "mommy, I touch." To which I responded with "No, you do not touch!" Hehe.

In other areas of life....we've got all our Xmas decorations up---stockings, tree, gate around the tree to keep unruly kids and pets away, lights on the house (we've had them for years and this is the first season we have finally put them up! Yay, go us!), a construction paper countdown, and the garland that D and I made when L and E were sleeping. I'm pretty excited this year for Christmas, more so than I have been in a long time....but also really far behind (WAIT, WHY AM I POSTING AN UPDATE, THEN?!).....we're going to a party with my hubby's side of the family this weekend, then to a couple of parties next weekend with my side of the family......I still need to finish making cards.....maybe they'll turn into Happy New Year's cards.....with an Xmas theme! =) And I need to finish the baked goods that I always make for family......oh and the biggest thing of all is L's play kitchen!!!! Aaaaaaahhhhhh! December has snuck up on me! We've barely started with her kitchen.....I hope we can have it done enough so that she can play with it on Christmas.....jeez!

Okay, now must get off of this computer and start getting my butt in gear for tomorrow.....having family portraits taken by my fab cousin!

No comments:

Post a Comment